Friday, June 26, 2009

Queer Open Mic at Modern Times

Tonight, for the first time in many years, I read at an open mic. The queer open mic at Modern Times bookstore was laid back and cordial. I went first with "Salvation," inspired by a tender man whose leather play and light S&M flow from the various distances between he and his state trooper father. The cheerfully distracting Trans March passed outside as I read but, according to someone in the audience, the poem still made an impact.

The featured poet was the award-winning Lucky 7, a slam poet based in the East bay and the captain of the Berkeley Poetry Slam team.

Baruch Porras-Hernandez (who would later read a poem that opened the floor) asked me to read a second time (considering the distraction earlier). I read my newest work from feti(sh)ame, "Question for Dolly Parton" (working title), a meditation on the gay men I admired growing up.

I'm looking forward to connecting more with these folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment